College and Career Center (CCC)

(805) 520-6800 x3717
Follow the Counseling Department and the CCC!
Instagram: @sshs_instagram
Facebook: SSHS Counseling
Twitter: @SSHS_Counseling
Follow the CCC on Instagaram!! Username: @sshs_ccc. Get all your CCC updates here!

General Info About Colleges

Transcript Information

Seniors: Don't forget to request a final official transcript to get sent to your university. Students admitted to a UC will need to submit final, official high school and college/university transcripts. Other required documents may be needed, such as official AP/IB exam scores. Please bring Mrs. Banks an envelope with the address of the the University on the front and your name and student ID written on the inside flap (see example below).

Going to a Community College?: Make sure to sign up on the clipboard by the front door in the CCC for a transcript!

Juniors: Get a head start on your UC application: This is the first year that students can start filling out the 2015-16 admissions application as early as Aug. 1. In order to complete your application before submitting it Nov. 1-30. View the UC’s quick-start guide for the fall 2015 applications HERE.
Have any questions? Ask Mrs. Wigdor in the CCC.

Is there a university that you would like to learn more about?

Come by and fill out a University Visit Request so Mrs. Wigdor can schedule the colleges you want to see!

College Night UC Powerpoint
Click here for the UC powerpoint.

Adult Education

Did you know that our very own Simi Valley Adult School and Career Institute not only helps students with credit recovery, but also has outstanding vocational programs that can lead to great employment opportunities? Whether you are looking for training in your chosen career or planning to go to a four year college but need to have a rewarding job to help you pay for school, the Simi Valley Adult School and Career Institute has so much to offer. It is one of the best kept educational secrets of Simi Valley! Classes are very affordable and include programs such as Cosmetology, Business & Computer Technology, Machinist, Welding, Dental Technology, as well as extensive medical programs including Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Medical Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, Nursing Assistant, Home Health Aide, Surgical Technologist, and Respiratory Therapist. To learn more, check out the Simi Valley Adult School and Career Institute Website. Course catalogs and brochures for their popular medical programs are available in our College and Career Center, as well. Thanks for helping support our community of Simi Valley!

College Check List
  • Ask for teacher and counselor recommendations if it is required - Fill out Brag Sheet & give 2 weeks' notice
  • Have you already taken the ACT or SAT? Go to and to sign up!
  • Decide what schools you want to apply to! Think about Safe Schools, Match Schools, Reach Schools
  • Research Requirements and Deadlines! UC and Cal State Application deadlines are 11/30
  • Start writing your personal statement
  • Attend College Visits in the CCC and Tour College Campuses
  • File the FAFSA
  • Consider how you will pay for colleges - Come in to the CCC to learn about Scholarships and FAFSA.


Brag Sheet

Senior’s who were awarded a Cal Grant
If you are a senior who was awarded a Cal Grant, you must confirm your graduation status on the WebGrants for Students (WGS) “High School Graduation” screen, which is accessible at If you have been awarded a Cal Grant and have not yet opened a WebGrants for Students account, please do so at the WebGrants website. AFTER you graduate (you can do it the next day), log into your WGS account and confirm that you have graduated.

Students who do not confirm their high school graduation status will not be eligible to receive their Cal Grant Award. If you have any questions, call 1-888-224-7268.

4-year colleges and universities require your final transcript be sent to them from your high school in order for your admission to be complete. In order for us to send your transcript, YOU MUST provide an envelope which has been addressed to your college (click here for an example). You are responsible for putting your schools correct address on the envelope; including the department that is requesting it (ex Attn: Admission & Records). On the inside flap of the envelope put your name. Check with your school or their web site to confirm the address and department you should send it to. Prior to leaving SSHS give this envelope to Mrs. Banks in Counseling. Once she receives the final transcripts from the district, she will mail them to your school.

Moorpark College Registration & Transcripts
Seniors going to MOORPARK COLLEGE need to get an unofficial transcript which you must hand deliver to the Express Counseling office (located in the Admin building) at Moorpark College. They are open Monday – Thursday, 8:30 am – 5:30 pm. Bring your 900 number with you. Moorpark must update your account so that you will be allowed to register for a math class once registration begins. If you don’t do this step, you will be blocked from registering for a math class now, & in the future, until you do so. They can also tell you which math class you should take based on the last math class you completed in high school; remember to ask them that question. See ** below for my suggestion.
  • If you are not currently taking a math class at SSHS, you can see Mrs. Wigdor for this unofficial transcript starting now, and through June 21st.
  • If you are currently taking a math class at SSHS, you must wait until June 15th to pick up your unofficial transcript from Mrs. Wigdor; you have until June 21st to pick it up from here. After that go to the Main office.
If you have any questions about the transcript process, see Mrs. Wigdor.
Remember to check your MyVCCCD portal frequently; this is where your registration day will be posted. The summer and fall Schedule of Classes is online now.
** If you haven’t done an in-person orientation, I highly recommend it. Bring your unofficial transcript, your 900#, and your English Assessment Confirmation to your in-person orientation and they can update your account (for math) at this time as well. To make an in-person orientation appt, you must have applied to Moorpark, set up your 900 account, and taken the online English and Math assessment. Call 378-1428 to sign up for an orientation; have your 900# ready when you call. Orientations are every Wednesday from 3:30 – 5:00. You will receive very valuable information at the orientation, and you can clear your math issue as stated above at the same time.
If you filed the FAFSA, there are still financial aid steps you must complete for Moorpark College to process your financial aid. Below are step by step instructions; call the Financial Aid Office at Moorpark College if you have any questions.

Moorpark College Financial Aid Steps
If you filed the FAFSA, there are the additional financial aid steps you need to complete for Moorpark College to process your financial aid. Check your MyVCCCD portal account by going to Current Users: Log on to your MyVCCCD account. New Users: Click on Sign up for an account. Forgot your password? Click on Forgot Password. Check your Financial Aid Status inside MyVCCCD by selecting the Services for Students tab. Scroll to the Financial Aid Requirements channel. 1. Click on Financial Aid Status link. 2. Select Aid Year and Submit. 3. Click on Financial Aid tab. 4. Click on Eligibility link. 5. Click on Student Requirements. Complete and submit ALL required documents to the Financial Aid office. Please Note: Red flagged items must be submitted to the Financial Aid office. Click on the URL item to print forms. 6. Accept Terms and Conditions by: Clicking on the Financial Aid tab, Click on Award, Click on Award by Aid Year, Select the Terms and Conditions tab. Read the terms & conditions, including the links to additional information. You are responsible to learn and understand this information. Scroll down to the bottom and Accept. If you choose Do Not Accept, you must complete and submit the Title IV Authorization form to the Financial Aid office. Check your MyVCCCD portal for weekly updates, messages, or additional requested info. If you are eligible for aid, you will be notified through your myVCCCD portal.

College Handbook

Applying to CSU or UC:
Students should have their transcript ahead of time to fill out college applications. Request a transcript from Mrs. Banks in Counseling and expect it to take a couple of days for her to have it ready for you to return and pick up.

College Application Dates

UC Colleges 11/1 - 11/30
CSU Colleges 10/1 - 11/30
Moorpark College 3/1 is the first day you can apply for Fall admission.
Private and Out of state schools check with individual schools.

College & Career Information
A-G Four Year College Requirements

Plan for College: The Action Plan from the College Board is a recommended timeline for students to follow.
If you are not sure what you want to study in college take a look at the College Majors & Career Profiles.
Finding a College
National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACAC)
See below for more NASAC information.
Applying to College. Helpful information on the application process and essay skills.

If you need a TRANSCRIPT for college applications or for scholarships, you must request them with Mrs. Banks in the Counseling Office. Make sure to get an extra “unofficial” transcript for you to keep and photocopy for scholarships that don’t require an “official” one. Once you ask for it, you must return within three days to pick them up or she will throw them away and you will not be able to get another one for a month. After applying for college, all schools want a final, June Transcript.

If you need a letter of recommendation from your counselor fill out the Brag Sheet. Letters of recommendation take two working weeks to be completed.

Get AP and PSAT information.

Financial Aid Resources

Scholarship Information

Come into the CCC to find out more about the scholarship opportunities below. Remember to check on all current scholarships with Mrs. Wigdor in the CCC.

Search for Scholarships
Community Colleges
California Private Colleges
Information on admissions, housing, tours, links to UC and Cal. State web pages and more.

Career Resources